The benefit of coming into our office and receiving a full, comprehensive exam is that we will check your neck and oral tissues for lumps, red and/or white patches, and recurring sore areas of your mouth and gums.
Early screening is highly beneficial because we can detect oral cancer in its infant stages, when it can still be treated. Symptoms of oral cancer include:
- Red or white lesions around the mouth & lips
- Sores, lumps, or thick patches of oral tissue in & around the mouth or throat
- Pain, tenderness, or numbness anywhere in the mouth
- Ear pain
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, or speaking
- Loose teeth
- Hoarseness or lingering sore throat
Some of the habits that can increase the risk of cancer include smoking and heavy alcohol consumption (30 drinks a week or more). Those two habits combined are estimated to be the trigger for 75% of the diagnosed oral cancers in this country.
Dr. Richard Barton and our team advise all of our patients to schedule and attend regular dental appointments so that we can detect oral cancer in its earliest stages. Contact Richard Barton DDS at 702-456-1147 today if you would like to schedule your next screening for oral cancer in Henderson, Nevada.